Thursday 23 August 2007

Don Quixote, being Spanish

I have been reading Don Quixote, in English, I admit, on the basis that I will read it in Spanish once I understand it, probably rather a Quixotic thing to do. I started it after we had driven through La Mancha, because Alain had told me you could only understand Don Quixote once you had done that. So once I had done the journey, I just had to read the book. Well, it is pretty long, but it turns out it is quite hard to put down, though I can't say why. From what I remember of Chaucer, it is a bit like Chaucer - the characters are ridiculous, but have great dignity and likeability despite it - like Chanticleer, or Basil Fawlty. It is not remotely like Dickens, which is what it says on the back of the book. I hate Dickens, really, it makes me think of those horrible Victorian cards of cats wearing bonnets, or Struwelpeter, cruel and cartoonish, though I did enjoy the TV adaptations.

Wondering about what Don Quixote might be like made me wonder whether Spanish and English have some deep similarities. After all, a lot of Brits live here (though not many Spanish in the UK and who can blame them, this is a much better place). The sense of humour here seems much fiercer, but there is a kind of persistent irony about the human condition which I recognise from Britain - seeing it as ultimately doomed and ridiculous, but still dignified. I am not sure the French would admit it was ridiculous at all, for instance.

The children's Spanish is beginning to take, interestingly. They have good accents, not yet Andaluz, which is probably a good thing since my tutor told me it was a comedy accent, and they are picking bits up. I am jealous, as I can see they will speak better than me, despite all my work. Being an adult is so hard, like not being able to bend. They say language is fixed in the palate by about age 7, I think; how unfair is that? You can change in other ways, but not in this. Does this mean I can't really be Spanish, but maybe they can?

I discussed this with Penny when she came. Is it because the Brits are white, or red, with dyed blonde hair and tattoos, that they look British? Penny thinks it is not just that; it is the way they dress and walk. My neighbour agrees: she has commented scathingly on the fact that all the Ingleses walk around in "tirantes" (straps) and shorts. Well, they think they are on a permanent holiday: they have dirty flipflops, etc. By contrast, the Spanish are smart, with the women's little feet in rather dinky decorated sandals, and fitted, frilly blouses, whatever their age. By contrast, the middle-aged English tourists in their floppy linen look drab and shabby, while the younger ones in their straps and red shoulders look what we in Shoreham would call pikey.

I have therefore made an effort to make sure I dress properly: I do not go out in shorts, but a skirt and sleeves. Also, in Vera, I went to the shoe shop intending to get some suitable shoes: there was a two for one offer, which meant you could get two nice pairs for about £50. I ended up buying Lara totally inappropriate silver glittery shoes, with a heel, which I pointed out to her she would never have been allowed in the UK. She said yes, but we are not there, are we? Good point. Children in Spain are spoiled, we know (hence the chaotic holiday camp, no discipline at all, not like Club Med, for instance, which is French and a bit like military service) and we are already caving in to it. However, I rather like the way they spoil girls. Everyone makes a point of telling Lara she is guapa, pretty, which I suppose is good for you in the long run. I dont know what the Spanish proverbs about bringing up children are, but I doubt they have "spare the rod and spoil the child" in any case.

No comments: