Wednesday 4 July 2007

Greta's shoes

Don't let yourself go!

People have been giving me a lot of warnings about letting myself go. When we were at the house at the end of May, Xtina started, using her one-of-the-three-Fates voice - "You know, you're going to have to be very careful." This was prompted by my commenting on the fact that she had heels on to go and look at some stone for the house they are doing up in France. Dear Xtina, I do love her but she does go on. "Well, I like to look nice, it's important you don't go out looking a mess, etc etc, it's a matter of self-respect, oh, I think it's dreadful when women go out all anyhow, etc etc."

Unbinding your feet

Xtina then told me the cautionary tale of Greta, Eddie's sister, who apparently since she moved to the country from Paris has a) got much fatter and b) worn flat shoes for so long she is now unable to get her high heels back on her feet. I was a bit struck by this. Firstly, I remembered Greta as being rather beautiful, I said to Xtina who said, yes, she used to be a model, she was very beautiful; however, now she put on all that weight and her shoes don't go on. This seemed to me not such bad news; if you don't want to be a model and wear high heels, but Xtina was very disapproving and I know Jasmine would back her up. To me, it seemed rather like a reverse Cinderella story, reminding me of the bit in Local Hero where he symbolically forgets his flash watch in the rock pool to show he's left the city behind - or like footbinding in reverse. I feel I wouldnt mind spreading out a bit, after all those years of tottering among the skyscrapers. But Xtina and Jane were looking at me a bit disapprovingly, and Jane said I would have to work out a new "smart casual" wardrobe.

Hmm. Clearly everyone feels that Nora Batty stockings and apron like Juana is not an option. I made the effort to put on some make up in the evening and was told, "See, now you look nice!" I pointed out I have spent the last 25 years looking nice for work so it is hardly surprising I know how; the fact is I might now prefer to let myself go. However, it is just like being pregnant; these days you are not allowed to spread, either because you are old, or live in the country, or are having a baby. The question is, will I continue to care what they think- and put my high heels on once a month to check I still can - or will I just go native? Watch this space.

No comments: